Saturday, November 28, 2009

Final Project Idea

splish splash sploosh

Final project ideas. You don't have any, and then you have so many that they float around in your brain crashing into each other violently and giving you headaches.

However, I have been toying with the idea of a certain project for a while now...and so, naturally, I felt the need to blog about it.

I remember Slade mentioning some kind of poetry assignment for a different class last year - they had to make photographs that "rhymed" or something along those lines. Ah, here's the link. I thought that was a really cool project when I first heard about it. I love patterns, themes, rhymes. This idea then went on to inspire a new one: onomatopoeia. 

Onomatopoeia or onomatopœia, from the Greek ὀνοματοποιία (ὄνομα for "name" and ποιέω for "I make"), is a word that imitates or suggests the source of the sound that it describes. Examples include: "splash", "pow", "oink." And that's what I want to photograph - things that sound like what they are. Or things that look like what they are? No, never mind. I thought maybe I'd be going somewhere with that, but...hm...things that look like what they sound? Well, now I'm confused. I'm going to have to think about this a bit more. 

The point is, I think it'd be awesome to photograph "click", "smooch", "SLAM." I think it has a lot of potential to produce a really unique, interesting, overall freaking awesome final project. It'll be a lot of work, but a lot of interesting work. I wonder if I could do something cool with actually scratching/writing words onto the photograph after I print it...hm...

Anyway, I thought it was a cool assignment. Synesthetic. It's always interesting to smell a color, taste a sound, hear a photograph. I think it'll be very challenging but still fascinating to shoot. I need to flesh it out a bit more, but it's a start. Comments? Suggestions? Pretty pretty please? I need a little help on this one. 

No comments: