Friday, October 30, 2009

Assignment #4 - Analogous/Complimentary



I've got to admit: I didn't like this assignment when I started shooting it, or when I printed my last print. I thought it would be easier than it was, and I thought I could make it more interesting than I did. I do think I got some good images, but overall I think this assignment was a little forced on my behalf (I just hope that isn't reflected in my final product). The most I can say for it is that it's totally on time, despite the play and swine flu.


My favorite image, for sure. I love the lighting and the texture. Thanks for letting me crop it, Slade... I think usually I'm inclined to shoot warmer tones, but I really like these cool ones.


Not my fave, which is too bad. In my last assignment post I wrote about how I wanted "poetry, not prose". I wanted emotion behind my photography. I'm not sure I accomplished that. When I shot I didn't have the slightest idea how to do that (all I knew is that I wanted to), so I decided to start by photographing something that at least meant something to me, and maybe that emotion would somehow shine through. This is the ragged stuffed animal I've had since I was a baby, but I don't think any of the love or memories I stuffed into came through at all. Sigh.


I like the idea of this image. I like the green/red contrast.



Complimentary candle. I don't know how much I love this. I desperately need to get a tripod. I'm getting a little sick of having these huge apertures and super shallow depths of field. It's time for some variety.


I love this light. This was another one I attempted to find the emotion behind - it's my baby blanket. Success? Fail? Shrug.


Ah. I love this. I don't hate the narrow depth of field in this one at all. I love that tiny little strip of perfect focus that runs down the page. The orange/blue contrast is more subtle, but I like it that way.


Eh. It's alright. It's in focus and in real life this "lighthouse" is about an inch tall, so here's just a reminder of how much I love macrofocus. Sometimes it can be unnerving what my camera picks up when I don't even see it - like the litte crumbs all over the purple "sky".



This was the first image I shot for this assignment, so I'm suprised it's up here. But crazier things have happened. I love the reflection of the lightbulb in the water. It draws your eye to the middle of the image. And even though the green of the waterbottle isn't quite as green as I wanted it to be, I think it at least still fulfills this assignment.


So I didn't particularly like this assignment. But it did teach me about the color wheel, and that I definitely need a tripod. Furthermore, I was kind of able to experiment with the whole "putting emotion behind the image" deal. I don't count this assignment as a success, but at least I know what doesn't work. I think the very thing I struggled to capture is a lot easier to do with portraits (wow, I haven't shot a portrait in forever). There's emotion in them because people relate. That's why an image like Chandler's pears from assignment one told such a great story - we personify them and turn them into ourselves. It's easier to dig up our own emotion than have someone else's forced on us.

No comments: